Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday Morning Update

Hi readers! Hope everyone is doing well this Monday morning and enjoyed the weekend of cool fall weather. I thought I would give you all an update on the events from Friday and let you know how I am doing.

Layoffs had been rumored for a couple of weeks and I felt pretty confident that I would be one of the people to be let go this time. Work has been really slow for a while and while I always get paranoid that I will be let go during a layoff, this time I had an overwhelming feeling that it would be me and obviously I was right.

I got into work around 7:15 and by 7:45 I was given the news, packed up my things and was out the door by 8:15; a quick morning to say the least. I spent the rest of the day emailing people about being a reference for me, applying for jobs and talking to recruiters. For some strange reason I am not yet worried, although maybe I should be.

I have been praying for a long time that the Lord would bless me with the privilege of keeping my job for as long as I need it and the way I see, the Lord is telling me I don’t need that particular job anymore. Obviously, I need a job, just not that one. So, I feel like my faith has given me a sense of calm that I haven’t had in the past when I’ve been in this situation.

On a positive note, the company from which I was laid off has given me an opportunity to interview for another position in a different division. The position is a lower one than the position I was just in, but if I am offered the position, I will definitely take it because unfortunately my bills don’t stop just because I am without employment, and as I’m sure you may have guessed, with my trip to France, repairs on my car, dental work, and a home repair all in this calendar year, my savings account has been drained.

I’ve also been asked about doing some baking by a friend of Jackie’s mom Jan. (Thanks, Christa!) I hope to take her up on the offer and hopefully I can make a little money doing that. I’m still writing for the newspaper as well, which is not much, but still something.

So, I ask for your continued prayers as I go for my interview this morning and if that’s not what God has in mind for me, then I ask for your prayers that the Lord will bless me with new employment quickly because I think we all know there are few jobs out there and a lot of people who need them.

Matthew 6:25-34 tell us, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

Very comforting verses in this time of uncertainty. I know that I am more valuable than the birds of the air and as long as I put my trust in God, everything will turn out okay.

Thanks for your continued prayers and I will keep you posted on how things are going. Have a great Monday!

5 comments:

Kimberly Washer said...

I'll be praying!! I'm so glad that you are able to stay positive during all of this. Very good for you! Good luck and keep us all updated!!

Erika said...

Definitely will be remembering you in prayer. I know sometimes it's hard to see while you're in the midst of a trial, but God really does work out everything for good. I am glad you have such a good attitude.
I will pray that you will find a career that you really enjoy and is stable!
Thinking of you my friend.

Mary McLaughlin said...

Just read your news this morning. I'm sorry and will be praying for you. Good luck with the interview.

Candy said...

Just getting a chance to catch up on my blogs. So sorry about the job! I hate to hear that. You will be in my prayers for sure. I used this website when I worked in HR - http://huntsville.al.usa.jobs/
It may be helpful to you.

Melissa said...

Hope you have some great new doors opening!! Awesome attitude!