Tuesday, October 11, 2011

First Day Back

Yesterday was my first week back to work after having been laid off and out of work for one week. One week is a blessing, some folks are out of work for months or even years; so, I’m definitely not complaining.

I was actually a little nervous/excited about going back. I’m working in the dame building, but with a completely different group of people so in reality it’s not much different than going to a completely new place except in this case I know where all the toilets are located. I got in at 8:00 and called a friend (Brenda) to help me carry in all of my junk. As you may recall from my cubicle posts (one and two), I like to have a lot of personal items around. I didn’t bring back everything; in fact, I threw some things out and just kept the items I liked the best or that meant the most.

After getting a new badge with the same terrible photo as before (I was really hoping for a new photo), my new boss was called to come collect me and show me where I would be sitting. I was most nervous about my new office location because in all my years of working, I’ve never had to share a spot with anyone. Well, now that I think about it, when I was a GA and intern I did, but since then I have not and I really prefer it that way. However, in the new division for which I’m working, I know a lot of people share cubicles and that had me worried. Thankfully, luckily, however you want to look at it, I was blessed to be placed in an empty cubicle and do not have to share with anyone. I sure hope it stays that way for a long, long time.

I spent the first hour or so cleaning up the cubicle which apparently has been empty for a while because it was quite dusty. Brenda brought my box ‘o things over and I set it all up and it looks quite like a home away from home. The rest of the morning was spent meeting people, asking a few questions, and having IT come and set me up with a temporary computer, which wouldn’t accept my password late in the day, let’s hope it works when I get in this morning. The rest of my time I spent reading through less than interesting procedures and processes and trying to stay awake. A lot of what I read I was familiar with, but this division does things a lot differently than what I am used to so there will be a bit of a learning curve.

Overall, it was a good day and I feel truly blessed to have been given this opportunity when so many people are still without work. Keep those folks in your prayers. Hope everyone has a really great Tuesday!


Erika said...

Glad your new job is off to a good start, and so thankful you are employed!

Alison said...

So glad you got a new job! It's so nerve wracking starting up fresh. Good luck to you!

Candy said...

Do you still have your ceramic cats? :)