Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Ghost, Harry, Pecans and a Suitcase, For Lack of a Better Title

Here are some more random ramblings for you to close out the week...

This afternoon at work, I thought I heard someone whisper something and I said, "Huh?" loud and professional like and when I turned around, no one was there except for my cub mater who swears she didn't whisper anything. then she proceeded to tell me how two or three times this past week she felt a presence and then felt someone poke her in the back and turned around and no one was there. So, now I'm thinking maybe there is a ghost that hangs out in our cubicle; although I can't understand why any ghost would want to hang out there. On the other hand, I could be totally delirious from the combination of cold medicines and hot toddies I've had this week. I'm not sure what excuse G would use.

Harry Connick, Jr. has a new CD out and while I would love to give it a rave review, I've got to be honest and say that I pretty much hate it. Well, hate is a really strong word, but I dislike it - a lot. It's not his best work in my opinion. I like more of the old school jazz/big band sound and this one has more of a Cajun flair to it. You've disappointed me, Harry. I expected better of you.

My friend Janet invited me over for dinner last week. We don't see as much of each other as we used to since I changed churches (yes, I know I still owe this story to you all) and it was really great to visit with her. As I was leaving, she sent home with me a large bin of pecans. Someone had given them to her and her sister and they had already had some cracked for themselves and she asked if I wanted some. I took a bin home with me and took them to be cracked the next day. When I brought them in the guy asked me if my mom had brought some in - I said no, my friend and that she had given me the ones I had. As it turns out, the bin I got ended up being about 25 pounds of pecans (in the shell). I have been shelling them sever since and feel as though I may never be done. I'm very grateful to have them though as pecans are now around $10 per pound and it's rare that I buy them. Maybe I'll have them all shelled by the end of the month.

My grandmother recently let my dad and his siblings go through some of my grandfather's things - clothes, hats, etc. - and they all were able to get some things they wanted and some of the grandkids and grandkid-in-laws got some things as well. The item I wanted is something my grandmother is not yet ready to part with and that's okay by me. The following Saturday, I went over to visit with her and ended up taking home two sweaters that no one wanted (and I have since worn) and also a binder with a Bible study in it that has my grandfather's handwritten notes. My mother suggested I ask for it and I'm glad she did because I'm really thankful to have it. Another treasure I got was a piece of luggage that belonged to my great-grandfather. It even has his initials on it. I don't really have any plans for the luggage but am really glad to have it and can only imagine the adventures it has been on in years past. Who knows, maybe I'll take it on an adventure or two myself.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm sure a ghost would be entertained by you if it were to hang out in your cube :) You may already know this - pecans can be frozen if you have too many to use up at once and don't want them to spoil. I think you have to remove all the shells first. Happy weekend!!