Thursday, March 21, 2013

It Was Like Seeing a Ghost

I don't know about where you live, but here in Huntsville, we received our first real taste of spring this past weekend and it was glorious. I was able to turn the HVAC unit off for four straight days and just cool the house by leaving a couple of windows open - or let the germs out as my dad likes to say. Saturday and Sunday were both sunny with a nice breeze blowing and the temperature outside was basically perfect. I even broke out my new Birkenstocks that Santa brought and wore them for the first time.

Saturday afternoon the church where my dad preaches hosted a fish fry and I went. I picked up my grandmother and when I got to her house she asked me if we could stop by Wal-Mart and pick up some tea. Apparently she had signed up to bring tea, but had forgotten about it and therefore had not asked anyone to get it before then. So, we stopped by Wal-Mart and got the tea and then went to the church building where the fish fry was taking place.

When we arrived, the men were out back under and alcove frying fish and I saw an older gentlemen sitting down. I didn't know who he was, but from a distance, it looked just like my Papa that passed away in January and I kept looking back at the man because the resemblance from my distance was so startling. When everyone came in from outside, I asked my dad who the man was and he told me. My dad said when I got here I thought it was Daddy and I thought to myself, "oh look, Daddy made it." I said I had thought the same thing. At least I wasn't the only one who thought the man reminded me of my Papa. It was such a strange and eerie feeling. 

After the fish fry, I took my grandmother home and then I went home myself and waited on the arrival of Sydney who was going to stay the night and go to church with me the next day. My aunt, her grandmother, dropped her off and she showed me her new purse. The purse (as well as a new nightgown) had a picture of the boy band One Direction and when I asked her who was on her purse she said, "One Direction" - only she didn't and doesn't pronounce the D in direction. I'll let you sounds that out for yourself. It goes without saying that her pronunciation gave us a good laugh.

After Sydney's mom brought her spend the night bag by, I gave her a bath and then dressed her in her new One Direction nightgown. I was asking her about the boys in the band and then asked her if she had a boyfriend. She said "yes, you know him. It's that boy with Ashlyn." I asked, "Troy?" "Yes," she said, "Troy is my boyfriend." This news, however, did not please Troy seeing as how he is nine and Sydney is four; but, maybe 15 years from now it will be a match made in Five Points. Who knows?

I put in Mary Poppins because it's one of my all-time favorites and Sydney had never seen it. She fell asleep watching it and I put her in the bed soon after. The next morning at church she was overjoyed when we saw Troy after class and she informed him that he was in fact her boyfriend. I told him to just go with it. He was a good sport and even let me take his and Sydney's picture.

Brittany picked Sydney up after church was over because I was on a liquid diet (due to my procedure on Monday) and didn't want to be around food. Sydney wasn't very happy about leaving so soon, but hopefully she recovered and will be happy to come again next weekend.

I spent the rest of the day napping, and consuming enormous amounts of liquid. Then at 5:00 I had to take the first of two doses for my colonosopy prep. My dad said it would probably hit me in about an hour's time and he was exactly right. I think it goes without saying that the rest of the evening was spent in and out of the bathroom (just keeping it real, people). the second dose came at 10:00 p.m. which I think is a ridiculous time because don't most people go to sleep around 10:00. I think I was finally able to lie down for the evening around midnight and was up three or four more times after that even. Thankfully I survived should everything go as planned, I won't have to experience it all again for another 14 years and for that I am exceptionally grateful! 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That is strange about seeing the man who favored your Grandfather so much. Did you ever find out who he was?
Glad you survived your procedure. I've heard the prep for that is awful, so hopefully you won't have to go through that anytime soon again.

Erika said...

I know what you mean about thinking your granddad had made it to the fish fry....I think that's one of the hardest things to deal with when you lose someone - thinking that, but immediately the realization that it's not true.
I might have to come over and visit you and Sydney one Saturday evening - she sounds like she'd be lots of entertainment :) The night gown story cracks me up!!! That's sweet that she wasn't ready to leave you on Sunday - so glad you are doing this, and Sydney will always remember it.