Monday, April 1, 2013

Birthday Celebrations

I briefly mentioned last week that my mom's birthday was on Tuesday (March 26) and we were unable to celebrate because I was struck down with some sort of stomach bug. So, on Friday, I met her and my dad at Olive Garden to celebrate her birthday. As luck would have it, I did not feel well on Friday. After feeling pretty darn good on Thursday, my stomach decided to get all queasy again on Friday; but, I met them for dinner anyway. I couldn't resist the Olive Garden salad and I ordered Fettuccine Alfredo hoping it wouldn't be too bad on my ailing belly. I spent the rest of the evening in regret and misery. Despite my feeling bad, we still had an enjoyable dinner together and hopefully mother enjoyed it since it was, after all, for her birthday. 

Saturday morning I went to the grocery store about 7:00 a.m. before all the big crowds hit to do the Easter shopping and got what I needed for my dad's birthday dinner that night and Easter lunch the next day. I was back home by 8:30 and not feeling well in the least. I managed to get some cleaning done and made some coleslaw to go with the evening's dinner as well as potatoes and deviled eggs for Sunday. Around mid-day I finally bathed and then just laid in my bed wishing for a stomach made of cast iron. My cousin sent a text and said Sydney wanted to stay home because she wasn't feeling well as she had a sinus infection and I was supremely grateful for her decision. I was on the verge of texting to say that she probably shouldn't come when I received Brittany's text so that worked out well. 

I soon after went over to my parents' house to get the burgers patted out for my dad's birthday dinner - his birthday was on Saturday. Mother had invited our friends Naaman and Cheryl over for dinner and told them to show up around 4:00 or 5:00. I got there about 4:00 to find my mother and dad both snoozing away the afternoon. I woke up my dad to start the grill since Justin was MIA and then started patting out the hamburgers. Naaman and Cheryl showed up about 10-15 minutes later. Justin arrived another 30 minutes or so after that and finished the grilling of the burgers. I don't know if my lack of food from the previous few days had anything to do with it or not, but those burgers were so delicious. I ate one and a half and then immediately had to run to the toilet. Just being honest here people. Clearly, the ole stomach was not ready for burgers.

We celebrated with some birthday cake after the burgers and then I cleaned up the kitchen in a round about sort of way before heading home due to not feeling well. I spent the rest of the evening snoozing on the couch, but did manage to make a couple of batches of dough for rolls before going to bed. Rolls were going to be quite an essential part of the Easter dinner the next day. 

So, it was a less than stellar celebration for my parents' birthdays thanks to me and my weak belly, but hopefully they both had an enjoyable day anyway. My dad got a new pair of jeans (which he picked out and told me how much I owed him) and my mom got a new red skirt which she has already worn and gotten compliments on. Hopefully next year's celebration will be a much more festive occasion.


Melissa said...

Hope you get to feeling all better. The stomach bug has hit our house as well. Megan had it yesterday. Those are no fun at all.

Erika said...

I hope your tummy is all better; you've really had a time lately.
I guess at least your dad liked what you got him ;)