Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Garden: Version 2010

Finally! The garden is planted! Since March I have wanted the small plot of land known as my garden to be tilled up and ready for planting. Unfortunately, I had trouble procuring a tiller to do the job. A few weeks ago, Tony’s uncle and dad went halves on a small tiller and Tony borrowed it this past Friday for 20 minutes of tilling on Saturday morning. (My garden is super small.)

Around 8:30, I headed outside and started working on the yard. I dug up an old shrub, did the weed eating, mowed the lawn, trimmed some erratic greenery, and scooted a 70-pound door to the road. Yes, scooted, that old door was heavy and I could not lift it on my own. It probably weighed more than 70 pounds. I don’t really know. At any rate, it was picked up by some scavengers and who knows where it is now?

Finally around 11:00 or 11:30 (I wasn’t wearing a watch) Tony came over with the tiller to loosen the earth that is known as my garden. Believe it or not, I’d never really seen a tiller in action. It was rather fascinating. It sure has a lot of power. There were a couple of times when Tony first started using it that it almost took of with him; luckily he was able to hold on for dear life and not injure himself. I thought about asking for a turn but didn’t want to make a fool of myself. So, I left the tilling to the men folk.


Tony the Tiller


No, I did not order a mattress, the guy that bought one of the house behind me did.

After my little patch of soil was tilled up, Tony decided we needed to till another row on the other side of what was once the outhouse. Yes, the outhouse. In the pictures, it’s the large concrete squarer. Under that upside down fire pit is what was once the toilet – now concreted in. So, Tony tilled up another row while I planted the tomatoes. The garden consists only of tomatoes and peppers. Last year it also contained squash and cucumbers and okra. The squash was invaded by some disease and to be pulled up and the cucumbers ended up drying up (although I did get a few good ones before that happened), and I never ate any of the okra because by the time it came in, the garden had lost its luster in my eye – and it was HOT! So, this year, we’ve only got tomatoes and peppers. I planted three better boys, two sweet 100s and one Juliet hybrid. For the peppers there are two green bells (one was supposed to be banana, but was in the wrong case at Lowe’s) and one jalapeƱo. I may go back to Lowe’s and get a banana because I like those and my peppers did really great last year.


Freshly tilled earth


Tomato Plants


Peppers


So, the garden, while not very exciting to some, is indeed exciting to me. I love to watch it grow and I love eating the tomatoes that it produces. Maybe when I get braver (next year?) I can plant some other items and see how they do. In the meantime, this is all there is. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. Until then… happy gardening!
The Tide enjoyed some outside time as well


1 comment:

Candy said...

And another shot of The Tide's ears to keep me laughing :)