Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Iron Man 2: A Review



Tony and I went to see Iron Man 2 over the weekend and we both really enjoyed it. The first Iron Man came out in 2008 and was extremely enjoyable. So, we were a little concerned that the second film might not be that great as is sometimes the case with sequels; plus, we had hears mixed reviews about the film and that also left us a little apprehensive. But, we were pleasantly surprised with Iron Man 2 and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first one.

The plot was a typical super hero movie plot – no big surprises there, but it wasn’t over the top, nor was it boring. I’d say it was “spot on” for a super hero type movie. Robert Downey, Jr. was as delightful as ever as Tony Stark, the somewhat narcissistic multi-millionaire who is also Iron Man. Mickey Rourke was utterly terrifying as Ivan Vanko – wow, and those tattoos were crazy good. I even liked Scarlett Johansson even did a good job and in one scene in particular, she was a complete baddie, kicking behinds all over the place. It was impressive. And Sam Rockwell – seriously does this guy ever portray anyone good? If so, I don’t recall because he does a superb job and being ultra deceiving. The technology used in the film was like a character unto itself and was very cool in my opinion. When I see things like this in film, it makes me wonder why we don’t already have that type of technology today.

I would go see this one in the theaters, folks. I realize that generally speaking, Memorial Day weekend kicks off the summer blockbuster season, but this year’s summer blockbuster season starts with Iron Man 2 and it is worth the watch in my opinion. There are so many great movies coming out this summer. It seems like every weekend for the next few weeks there is something new I want to see. So, look for a lot of movie reviews in the coming weeks. I wish someone paid me to watch movies; that would be so nice.

Tony's take: pretty good

No comments: