Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I've Been Keeping My Feet Dry

Dear readers,
Take care of your feet. If you don’t, you will be broke. Thanks for listening!
Natasha

In case you didn’t catch on, I’ve been having some problems with my feet. I realize you probably didn’t come here today expecting to read about feet, but this is all I’ve got today, people. Sorry.

For about a year I’ve been having issues with my feet and over the past few months, the pain has gotten increasingly worse. The only time they didn’t hurt is when I was sitting down, and sometimes they even hurt then. My left foot hurt the worst. Finally I broke down and made an appointment with the podiatrist, Dr. Behmer, of the Huntsville Podiatry Center. He is the caretaker of Tony’s mom’s feet and surprisingly enough, I recently discovered that he performed surgery on my dad’s feet back in 1973. It’s a small world; don’t let anyone tell you differently.

So, last week I had my first appointment only to discover that I have heel spurs, bursitis, and bunions, among other things. So after this discovery, Dr. Behmer tells me he’s going to give me a shot of cortisone, in both feet. Huh? Now I have a friend, Sandy, who had these shots before and she cried like a baby and told how it was the worst thing in the world. So, I was not excited about this at all. Besides that, I wanted someone there to hold my hand and I was there all alone. Needless to say, I survived the shots all by myself. The nurse taped my feet up and told me to keep the tape on and keep them dry for five days. Huh? Yep, five days.

So for five days last week I took a bath with bags on my feet and my feet on the side of the bathtub. I best you have a lovely mental picture now don’t you. The tape actually helped quite a bit, the only hard part was keeping my feet dry.

Yesterday I went in for round two of the cortisone shots and my dad was kind enough to accompany me and hold my hand. I think it’s the anticipation leading up to the shots that is almost as bad as the actual shots. Thankfully, since I had not had any pain in the right foot, I only had to get a shot in my left foot yesterday and the right foot was spared. Today, however, my left foot hurts worse than it has in a week’s time and I’m not sure what’s going on with that, but I don’t like it.

I go in for round three next week. I’m really not sure how many rounds there are, but my wallet’s getting dry thanks to doctor’s visits and inserts and new shoes. So, the point of this post is to take care of your feet or you too will be handing over wads of cash to your doctor.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Ooh, I feel your pain. I had to have a cortisone shot in my back for my sacroiliac joint and it was just the worst thing. That is one long, invasive needle. I was not ashamed to cry. ;)

Anonymous said...

been there, done that. Hope it gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

find a person who does reflexology after you get the pain down some. They can massage so much of the problems away. Have done both. You need both. For the heel spurs, before you get out of the bed each morning, use a towel and pull your toes back toward your shin for 30 seconds. do this three minutes each foot and you can stand up when you get up.l

Unknown said...

Hi,
The best Article that I have never seen before with useful content and very informative.Thanks for sharing info. I really loved reading through this article…

Regards,
Cortisone Injection in West Malling