Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Wizard of Oz: Part Deux




Earlier this year, Tony and I went to see Broadway Theater League’s production of The Wizard of Oz. This past weekend, I tagged along with Jackie and her kids to see it again; only this time it was put on by Huntsville’s Fantasy Playhouse and it was directed by my dear friend, Billy Jenkins, although I call him Bill.




If you have never been to a Fantasy Playhouse production, then you must go! It is by far one of the best local theaters in Huntsville and always has the most elaborate costumes, make-up and sets; and the actors always do a fantastic job. Their shows are geared towards children, which is nice for those of you lucky enough to be parents because the shows are all kid friendly and you don’t have to worry about your child being too loud. My friend Candy, took her daughter Jane Claire to see the show a few nights before we went, and JC loved it!



We arrived at the playhouse a little early and found our seats. Ashlyn was disappointed that we were on the back row; but, I assure you, there is not a bad seat in the house and we could see everything just fine. She cheered up after a few minutes of pouting.


This face reminds me of Jack Nicolson in The Shining

Once the show started, the kids loved it and so did Jackie and I. We thought the Cowardly Lion was hilarious and it turns out that the Lion was played by Jake Bennett, son of George who was in my parents’ wedding. I haven’t seen Jake since he was in junior high or high school; so, I was surprised that he had been bitten by the acting bug. He really was hysterical and one of the best parts of the show.

The show also included my friend, Matt Crawford, who played the Flying Monkey King and he really did fly – five times, or maybe it was four. All of special effects were great and Troy kept talking about how he didn’t know how they got the Wicked Witch of the West to melt.


Matt - The Flying Monkey King
Jake - The Cowardly Lion

After the show was over, the kids got autographs, and I got an autograph from Matt. He was barely recognizable under all his make-up.



The show was really awesome and I encourage you readers to go to a show or two next season. The season tickets are relatively inexpensive and you will always get a good quality show. Fantasy also puts on a season extra show of A Christmas Carol, which is not included in the season ticket price, but also always a good show.

We had a nice time and the kids did too. Enjoy the pictures.


Troy and Ashlyn with The Wicked Witch of the West


Dorothy signing autographs - the blue kiss is from the Good Witch of The South


Troy is chatting up the Good Witch of the South


The Tin Man


Ashlyn and Troy with Toto

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Loved the pictures!! Thanks for posting them. Ash does look a little freaky in that picture.

Candy said...

Loved all the pictures. I didn't know you could take them while the show was going on. Good thing I know now! I still want to find out what the Witch uses to make her teeth so white!

Anonymous said...

I loved the information and also the pictures. You are definitely a good photographer. I'm so glad that you and Jackie got to go together. Every single play they have seen has been great. I think Tim and I need to get tickets. It seems all we do is work.
Love you,