Monday, May 24, 2010

Saturday Fish Fry

This past Saturday, I was prepared to grill burgers for myself, Tony, and Jackie. Around 1:15, my dad called and said that he had been out fishing that morning with my brother and a man from church and they had caught 62 bream. (Jackie asked if Jesus was fishing with him.) So, he decided we should all go over there for a fish fry at 5:30. Tony came over around 5:15 and we headed over to my parents’ house. Jackie got there a few minutes after we did. (FYI the pictures in this post were taken with my parents' camera - I'm not used to it so sorry if they are not that great!)


Jackie and Tony

When we got there, however, nothing had been cooked. My brother was apparently at the store getting French fries. So, we waited around until he got back and then started cooking. I think we finally finished cooking about 7:00 and sat down to eat. It was delicious. My dad did a great job cooking the fish. I somehow ended up in charge of frying up the hushpuppies which didn’t turn out half bad if I do say so myself.


The mess that happens when my dad cooks - at least there's a dog to lick up the crumbs!


Hushpuppy batter


Finished hushpuppies


Raw bream - caught that morning -
as my brother said, just think, those were swimming around earlier today


Yum! Fried fish!


The Head Fisherman and Cook


Standing around in the kitchen, waiting on the grease to get hot


A hot messy and greasy stovetop

After we ate, my brother and his friend McKenna, and my mother all cleaned up the kitchen while my dad, Tony, Jackie and I watched funny political ads and talked about everything under the sun. It was a fun night and I look forward to the next time we are able to get together and fry up some fish.


Justin - doing the dishes

Here’s an update to this story. As Tony and I were pulling up to my parents’ house, I noticed a person walking down the road that looked an awful lot like my friend Sandy. Sandy and I used to work together and we still keep in touch. Tony said he didn’t think it was her (although he didn’t see her face) because the person was too tall. Well, it just so happened that it was indeed, Sandy.

Jennifer, a co-worker and friend, and Sandy had gone hiking on Saturday with Sandy’s sister and Jennifer’s daughters. While hiking they had gotten lost and the next thing they knew, they saw houses. Sandy, who hates hiking and was extremely frustrated at this point, decided to walk to the neighborhood and up to the main highway where she would call her niece to pick her up, and that is exactly what she did, and as she was walking to the highway, that’s when I spotted her. Too bad I didn’t yell out her name or she could have enjoyed the air conditioning and some fish. As I’ve said before, it’s a small world, don’t let anyone tell you differently.

No comments: