Thursday, May 13, 2010

The New Church Building: Open House #2

As I mentioned previously, there was an open house this past weekend at the new building the church I attend is constructing. I always like to attend these open houses to see how the progress is moving along. Since I don’t live by or pass by the new building, I only get to see it via photos before and after worship services. I think actually going and seeing things in person makes it that much more exciting. So, while I was there I took a few photos to share with you. Some of these I took just for the humor of it all and hope you get a little humor out of them as well.

Here is an outside shot of the building. It is even bigger in person. I was impressed to see that those long windows on the left were installed. They look really nice – floor to ceiling. So fancy! It will be nice to have offices and classrooms with real windows. In our old building, such a thing didn’t exist.



This is the emergency stairwell on the back side of the building. Hopefully no one will ever have to use this. It reminded me of the stairwells you see in the back alleys in New York; only maybe not quite as cool.



This is the inside of the fellowship hall, which will also serve as the auditorium for the first few years we are there. Plans are to build a “real” auditorium later on down the road after we raise some more funds.



Another shot of the same room.



This opening is where the baptistery has been installed.


Speakers on the ceiling of the fellowship hall area; let’s hope these work better then our old sound system, which could sometimes be unreliable.



If you read my last open house post then you will remember I spotted a pack of smokes by the baptistery. Well, my keen eye happened upon another pack of smokes during this open house too and I snapped the photo in keeping with the tradition.



A hallway of classrooms



One of the classrooms on the front of the building



That mumbled up mess will soon be offices and bathrooms.



Over here we have an elevator shaft and a stairwell to the upstairs classrooms which aren’t viewable yet.



An unfinished hallway



A gateway to the outside world



The next set of photos is meant to give you a laugh. I went to check out the bathrooms by the fellowship hall area because I was curious as to whether or not the toilets had been installed. (I know, I know – you don’t have to tell me how strange I am!) So, I walked into the women’s restroom and this is what I saw:



Then I went in for a closer look because I was wondering what those signs on top of the toilets said. Here it is:



The second one:



So, I’m a little confused. One says you will be run off and the other says you will be run off only if caught. However, the most confusing part is that comma use. I think whoever wrote that just threw a comma in there for good measure.

Here’s a shot of where the sinks will be.



So, then I walked across the hall to the men’s room. I was wondering if the toilets couldn’t be used, what about the urinals. Had they been installed? Could they be used without getting run off the job if caught?



Apparently so; while the toilets in the men’s room also had “do not use” signs, the urinals did not. Interesting, indeed.

Well, that’s it for the church building update. We are tentatively having a first worship service there the evening of June 6 and should be fully moved in sometime in the fall. It’s sure to be the home of many wonderful memories.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Awesome. So I can use them if I'm not caught. I, too, support the use of random, comma usage. :) I'm so glad you took these. We just couldn't get to the open house on Mother's Day weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it has changed a lot since we saw it without the walls just studs. It looks even larger. They better get the toilets working. Priorities are essential. Love your blog, girl.
Love,
Your other Mom-miss you,
Jan

Candy said...

I hate the word "commode"

Anonymous said...

Good pics Natasha! I thought those signs on the commodes were funny too. Derek says people will use the commodes even if they are like in random places,like a bedroom of a house-yuk!!They started installing the partitions around the commodes yesterday....yes I tried to see how many times I could use the word commode-just for you Candy-LOL

Lisa