Monday, January 2, 2012

I Am the Master of Uno

The continuation of my New Year’s Eve (read part one here)

After the adventurous day with my dad and getting my mother home, I went over to Jackie’s to visit with her and the kids a bit before heading back home to an unruly kitchen and a pie that still needed to be made.

When I headed out, there was a truck blocking the road I needed to get on. The truck finally moved up the road and as it was going up to the highway, I noticed what looked like a piece of car flying towards my car. As it turns out, that truck it a SUV coming down the mountain and the side view mirror was what came flying towards me. I stopped and talked to the people in the SUV and then drove off to get the license plate number of the truck; but thankfully the truck turned around to go back to the scene of the crime. I think those folks had already hit the bottle.

Jackie had made a spread of finger foods but I wasn’t hungry thanks to the hospital beef stroganoff. I did have a couple of brownies before I left for the night and they were delectable. Our friend Maria was there as well as her dog Ally. The kids were wound up in anticipation of the New Year, complete with noise makers. They were loud and rambunctious and hyped up on life. It was quite entertaining.

Troy showed me some of his new Lego sets and then he brought out his new Harry Potter Uno game and it was Game On! We played probably 10 rounds or so and I won… wait for it… two! He beat my butt and even made up a little song about it! He declared himself the Master of Uno! And indeed, he was. I got beat by a nine year old – many times, people; many times!

Jackie then got out a couple of decks of cards and we set in for a few rounds of Nertz, which is a game we played when we were kids. I think we each won three games. I really can’t remember the exact count, but we were in full on concentration mode and were having to push the kids out of the way and tell them to hush so we could concentrate.

Around 8:30 I had to call it a night because The Tide had not been out for a bathroom break since I left the house a little after noon. I would have loved to stay longer so that I could become the Master of Uno; but, alas it was not meant to be. My dog needed some attention. We popped open the sparkling grape juice before I left to celebrate the New Year and the taste brought Jackie and I back to our youth when we were quarantined to a bedroom with a set of rented VHS tapes and only summoned out a few minutes before midnight to toast in the New Year. I then headed home and was thankful to avoid any drunks on the road.

It wasn’t the New Year’s celebration we had planned, but it was good nonetheless. We were blessed that nothing major was wrong with my dad and it was fun and enjoyable to spend some time with the kids beating my butt at Uno. Hope your New Year’s was really great! All the best to you and yours in 2012!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I am so glad your dad is okay! The kids and I had a blast New Years Eve thanks so much for stopping by. Troy made it to midnight no problem, Ash on the other hand was asleep by 11:00 but the noisemakers woke her up in time to ring in the New Year with us. Praying this year will be much better than last. Love ya!

Erika said...

I am so glad your dad is ok!!
Hope 2012 brings only good things your way.