Monday, January 30, 2012

It Seems the Weekend Revolved Around Eating

Hope you all had a nice weekend, even those of you who didn’t win a cookbook. Sorry, wish I could give everyone a copy, but you know, money doesn’t grow on trees and all that jazz. My weekend was busy and not all that exciting all wrapped into one. Here are all the gory details:

On Friday after work, I stopped by the mall (a place I really loathe to visit). The reason for stopping by was to go to Buckle and get some jeans hemmed. I recently bought a new pair of jeans from Gap and they are always too long and I always take them to Buckle where they pin them up and send them off to their wonderful seamstress who does an amazing job! Well, I went into a dressing room, tried on my pants, had them pinned, took them to the register to pay the $8 that they charge for the hemming of the jean only to be told that they don’t do jeans unless they were bought at Buckle – HUH?! I guess this is some sort of ridiculous new policy they have because I’ve had jeans hemmed there as recently as last year. Needless to say, I was ticked because, well, it was the only reason I stopped by the dreaded mall. I have since gotten the name of my friend Candy’s seamstress and I plan to give her a call and a try otherwise my jeans will be dragging the ground.

Since I was at the mall, I decided to go ahead and peruse the shoe section at Belk, a store I am not a fan of by the way; I figured they would probably have some shoes on sale and y’all I am in DESPERATE need of some new brown shoes. I will probably devote a whole post to this problem of mine. Anyway, on the way down to Belk, I passed Kay Jewelers and realized I had a watch in my purse that needed a new battery. This particular watch battery can’t be replaced in the store because of how the band is made; instead, it has to be sent out for a couple of weeks. (Update – as I was typing this I got a call that it was ready – that was fast!) So, I dropped it off and went on down to Belk. No big surprise here – I found no brown shoes that I liked.

I then went down to Great American cookie and got a free slice, which was one of the coupons I got for my birthday. I mentioned this last week. If you like free stuff on your birthday, check out this list and sign up. You will eat free for a week at least. After the mall, I went to Publix and did my weekly grocery shopping and then stopped in at Jason’s Deli for a soup and salad combo for $5 with…wait for it… my birthday coupon!

The rest of Friday evening was spent cleaning, eating, watching TV and generally doing nothing of great importance. I did put together a breakfast casserole for the next day because on Saturday morning I attended my sorority alumnae founder’s day brunch. The brunch was slated to start at 10:00. I got there a few minutes before and it was 10:30 before everyone arrived and we got started. Now, listen, if there’s one thing I hate, it is people who are not on time. I cannot stand to be late – it makes me a ball of nerves! Plus, if you are supposed to be at an event that starts at 10:00 then why in heaven’s name are you going to show up at 10:30? I don’t get it. I could go on, but I will stop.

Anyway, at 10:30 or 10:40 whenever it finally was, we got started… with our founder’s day program… not with eating as one might expect. I seriously thought we were going to eat first because that was the order of events last year, eat and then meet; therefore, I did not eat anything before I left the house that morning and I think it goes without saying that I was more than hungry by the time we finally did eat … at noon! I hate to be a complainer because it’s a great group, but no matter what group this had been I would be writing about my complaints because I was more than a little perturbed with the situation. I also had other things to do on Saturday and didn’t want to be late in getting those things accomplished. Plus my lower back was in some crazy immense pain on Saturday. I thought I might burst into tears while I was standing around talking with people. Thankfully I didn’t.

After the brunch, I made a run by Target to pick up some paper plates, etc. for a gathering of folks on Sunday night. I then went by Mr. Donut, because it goes without saying Mr. Donut is the best EVER and who wouldn’t want to stop by there? Then I dropped off the paper goods at my parents’ house because the gathering was at their homestead. I had grand plans to go to the Bob Jones at Lee basketball game on Saturday at 5:00 but I didn’t have anyone to go with me and I also took a nap and didn’t wake up until 4:30 so that was scratched from the agenda. Instead, I made some food for Sunday night.

Sunday morning was church and afterwards I went to Moe’s to get my free birthday entrée. Y’all seriously have to sign up for the birthday foods! Then I stopped by Publix to get some fruit because one of the families for the Sunday night shin dig backed out and I am always paranoid that there will never be enough food for the masses. I napped on Sunday afternoon, went to church again Sunday night and then headed to my parents’ hacienda for the gathering of friends. It was a good time.

I got home at close to 10:00, posted the winner of the cookbook and went to bed; and that, folks, was my weekend in a little over 1,000 words. Man, I’m long winded! Hope you are still awake after reading all of that. It was a nice weekend, just not long enough as they never are. Whoever invented the weekend should have made it three days.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I hate the mall, too. It's depressing to me for some reason. Maybe that's why I never can leave without a piece of cookie cake!
Thanks for letting me crash your party on Sunday night; I really enjoyed seeing all those folks.