Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Regarding Rain and the Lawn

Sadly, I have nothing very exciting or even interesting to write about today, which means this is the first still of what will most likely be many posts in 2012 of me rambling on about nothing in particular. I can feel your enthusiasm beaming through the interwebs!

So, yeah, I still have my outdoor Christmas lights up. As you may remember, they are while lights and the cord actually blends in with my porch railing so I doubt you can really tell it. I haven't turned them on because I get really annoyed with Christmas lights shining bright after about January 1. I planned to put them away last weekend, but it was apparently the start of the monsoon season in Huntsville and hanging out in the rain wasn't at the top of my agenda believe it or not. So, with any luck, the rains will disperse this weekend and I'll be able to wrap those lights up and stash them away for another 10 months or so.

Speaking of the monsoon season, I can't believe how much rain we have been getting lately. I'm really sick of it, and I'm a person who actually likes rain from time to time; I mean, it is kind of essential to the circle of life, but good grief, I've practically forgotten what the sun looks like. Today in Huntsville, there are a lot of flooded roads, including the one I live on; one end of my street is apparently closed. I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but I did see it listed on a couple of websites after my aunt emailed me to tell me about it. Then my mom called and wanted me to leave work early - um, no, I have to make that time up; so, that's not going to happen.

Anyway, I was pretty excited to get home and see what all the fuss was about. Sadly, the street was not closed or flooded; I suppose the water had all receded by the time I got home. However, there were no barricades on the side of the road either which was peculiar. When I got home, my front yard was basically a mudslide. My house is elevated from the road so I suppose all the water ran down to the street and since my front yard never seems to get much grass (which I found out is because I didn’t rake my leaves – who knew?), it’s just all mud at this point with some smooshed leaves and a few random blades of grass. I think if I wanted I could easily slide down to the road without much effort. It’s pretty gross out there.

Also, I saw where all the manhole covers on California Street between Governors and Bob Wallace were gone because flood water had washed them away? Now, that's some serious water people. I hope it brings lush green lawns this spring.

Speaking of which, I hope to put down some grass seed at some point. I've got to consult my resident expert (also known as my dad) as to what kind of seed to put down and when to put it down, but I am tired of having an ugly front yard. I was planning to sod my front yard this spring but I don't have the money to do that. So, if you happen to know of someone or hear of someone who is giving away free sod (don't laugh, I've known it to happen in my parent's neighborhood), then please pass the word along because a nice lush front yard is a goal of mine, I'm concerned it may never happen.

I guess that’s really all I have to ramble on about for now; but don’t you worry, it will only be a matter of time before I write another post about nothing in particular. In the meantime, stay dry and warm – it’s supposed to get cold out there tonight!

1 comment:

Erika said...

I saw on the news last night about flooding in Five Points; glad you and your house are ok!

I'm hoping the rain brings us a very green spring, too.