Sunday, January 1, 2012

My New Year's Eve

I don’t know about you, but my New Year’s Eve certainly didn’t turn out a thing like expected. For the past couple of years, my dad and I have cooked a nice dinner for our family and a few close friends and it was decided that we would do the same this year. My dad was going to cook prime rib and I was in charge of everything else, which was to be a green salad, potatoes Romanoff, steamed shredded brussel sprouts and lemon pound cake and egg nog cream pie.

I woke up around 7:00 on Saturday morning and immediately started to work in the kitchen. I first made the pound cake and then started on the potatoes which had to be shredded – that food processor is a dream come true for this lover of cooking. I got the brussel sprouts shredded and the salad made and cooked some bacon for the salad and thought I was doing pretty well. Around 11:00 I left the house to pick up a pizza I had ordered from Sam and Greg’s because I didn’t want to make myself lunch when I was already making myself dinner – or something like that.

On the way back from the pizzeria, my mom called. My dad had taken himself to the hospital because he was having chest pains. The doctor didn’t like the first EKG and so was going to wait a bit and do another one. My dad had tried to call me so I called him and asked what was going on. He told me the same and that he didn’t want anyone coming down there. A nurse came in to draw blood which cut our conversation short. I ate my pizza and mom my called back. I told her that we were cancelling the dinner and postponing it to either Sunday or Monday.

Not long after talking to her she called a couple of more times with updates and then called to say that the doctor thought my dad was trying to have a heart attack and that they were going to do a heart cath. I took a quick shower, called Jackie to meet me at my parents’ house and drove over there myself to help my mom get dressed and take her down to the hospital.

I was the first to arrive then a couple of ladies from the church my parents attend and then Jackie. We all managed to get mother dressed. A husband of one of the ladies put mother in her wheelchair and Jackie and I packed a small bag with some snacks and sodas. Mother and I were then on our way.

By the time we finally got to the hospital, the heart cath was over and the arteries were really clean – great news! No heart attack! Even better news! Apparently the chest pains had something to do with upper GI problems. My dad has ulcerative colitis and that probably has something to do with it. It may also be ulcers. He will have to have an endoscopy sometime soon.

They moved my dad to a room and soon after visitors trickled in. Thanks to all of you friends who stopped by and all you family too! I would name everyone but then might forget someone and I would feel bad so a BIG thanks to all who came – your love and support did not go unnoticed! Also a BIG thanks to all who prayed or called to check in. We really appreciate it all!

My mom and I headed back to the house around 4:30 but first stopped in the hospital café to have some dinner of beef stroganoff and green beans and you know what, it wasn’t bad at all. I got mother home and her nightgown on her and some friends were going to stop by and help her get in the bed. I do not have the strength to lift her one iota. I can maybe lift one leg. My granddad, her dad, came over to spend the night with her and I left to do a little celebrating with Jackie and the kids.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Alison said...

Scary! So glad it wasn't a heart attack and I'm waiting anxiously for the rest of the story! Love to your dad, please tell him I'm thinking of you all!

Melissa said...

Glad to hear your dad is ok and that he didn't ignore the symptoms - chest pain is never something to play around with. Hope your family's new year looks better by the minute :)