Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movie Experience and Review: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo



While I was out for vacation last week, I managed to make it to the movie theater to see "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" on the big screen. As you know, I read the books last year and enjoyed each of them immensely - once I was able to get into it that is. So, I was looking forward to seeing what Hollywood was going to do with these books that have been read and loved by so many.

I went last Friday night and after running a couple of errands, arrived at the theater, bought my ticket and then a large - yes, a large, popcorn. After having the stomach virus a couple of days before and eating cautiously on Thursday, my hunger had caught up to me and I was ready for some eating, people. I didn't eat the whole bucket, but came pretty darn close. I ran into two couples from church in the hallway when I first arrived and chatted with them for a while before making my way to the theater.

I settled into a seat ca couple of rows from the top and was hoping the theater wouldn't fill up. I should have known better because it was showing in one of the smaller theaters and there were already quite a few people in the "stands". I was really amazed at the number of couples in the crowd because call me crazy but I wouldn't want to watch this movie with a boyfriend or husband. Something about seeing rape on the big screen doesn't say, "I love you sweetie," to me. But, hey, what do I know? I guess I sat down about 10 minutes before the movie started and in those 10 minutes , the place became rather full. Two girls came in and sat right next to me which I was less than thrilled about but thankfully they didn't talk or fart or anything like that. (I have no idea what inspired me to write fart, but I'm keeping it. Sorry, Aunt Linda!)

Once the movie began, they showed a wide array of previews, none of which really struck my fancy. I mean, Ghostrider 2? Really, wasn't the first one bad enough? Nicolas Cage, how you have fallen. Of course, I have never enjoyed his acting, but that's a post for another day.

OK, on to the movie review - this movie was quite well done considering the vast amount of material the screenwriters, directors, etc. had to work with. You would think they would have had to leave something out, but in reality there wasn't much missing at all. Impressive. I have watched many a movie based on books I have read but this is the first time I have ever watched one where I felt like someone had literally taken the scenes from my head and placed them on the screen in front of me. I give all the credit to Stieg Larsson and his immaculate attention to detail. He described things so very to the point that it would have been hard to mess it up; but, seriously, y'all - right out of my head. It was quite mind blowing. The whole movie wasn't like that mind you, but many of the scenes, especially from the parade Harriet was at before she went missing and the wreck of the gas freighter on the bridge. It was quite surreal.

I wasn't sure how I would like Daniel Craig in the role of Mikael Blomkvist, I mean, he's quite lovely as James Bond but I always pictured Mikael to be a little pudgier and less handsome than Daniel Craig, but he did quite a good job. He was actually believable in the role, which is obviously important. Christopher Plummer was quite wonderful as Henrik Vanger but I mean when is he not wonderful - hello, Captain Von Trapp! Rooney Mara - amazing as Salander. She did a phenomenal job as this very reclusive and troubled yet remarkable girl. She played the role beautifully.

There were a few things that were changed to make the movie flow better into the second film, such as Palmgren being in the nursing home, which doesn't happen until the second book. The ending was a little different as well, but worked out just fine and didn't take away from the plot at all. I closed my eyes during the rape scene because I did not care to see that on the big screen, or any screen for that matter. There were a couple of other disturbing scenes (those in the basement of Martin's house and another one or two) in which I also closed my eyes because really I wanted to be able to sleep peacefully once I got home that evening. The movie was 2 hours and 40 minutes long but it kept my attention the whole time and I didn't look at my watch once - a modern day miracle. In all, I would give this movie an A plus. If you loved the book, then I think you will love the movie as well. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the second, assuming there will be a second. Here's to hoping so!

Side Note: I decided to name these posts movie experience and review since I seem to write more about what happens at the theater than the actual movie and honestly I don't think I'm that good at reviewing. Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I think you have to like comic book heroes to like Ghost Rider. He is one of my favorite anti-heroes. Frankly, I'll take Nic Cage to see GR make it to the big screen. :D I think you are spot on about rape scenes. Not exactly date movie fare!

Erika said...

I hate it when people plop down right beside in a movie...I need my personal space! haha
I think you write very good reviews, but your stories from the theater, other movie-goers,etc. are the best ;)

Melissa said...

Thanks for the review....I really want to see the movie now after finishing the 3 books too...by the way, thanks for the recommendation to read the books too - otherwise, I wouldn't have read them otherwise :)