Monday, February 6, 2012

The 35th Birthday Weekend Part Two

Yesterday I began the tale of my weekend and today, the tale continues..

After checking with my dad, I discovered that he had not picked up enough of the enchilada mix and so when I drove over the mountain into Hampton Cove, my first stop was Publix. It was still pouring rain out and when I got in the store and checked the shelves, I discovered there was no enchilada mix. Apparently not a lot of people make enchiladas at home because this is often a problem and I suppose I should have stopped at Wal-Mart to begin with, but I really loathe going to Wal-Mart and was trying to avoid it at all costs. However, when Publix had no enchilada mix, I headed back across the highway to Wal-Mart and finally found what I needed. Third time was the charm I guess. All the while it's still raining like mad, my feet are soaked and The Tide is in the back seat. I wonder what was going through her head. she was probably tired of making stops every five minutes.

After the successful trip to Wal-Mart, I made a stop at Mr. Donut because let's face it, they have the best doughnuts in town and I personally love to eat doughnuts on Sunday morning before church. I also wanted to pick up some doughnut holes for Erika since she was kind enough to wrap my birthday presents for my parents. When I got to Mr. Donut, I parked and got out of the car, leaving my keys in the ignition. I thought about going and getting them out but figured no one would steal a car with a large dog in the backseat and I guess I was right. Actually, I doubt anyone was casing the place to steal a car but I guess you never know. Anyway, I got the doughnuts and the doughnut holes and finally, FINALLY, made my way to my parents' house.

When I pulled in the driveway, the garage door was down so I called my dad and asked him to open it. We then proceeded to let The Tide out and unload the car. By the time I had finished unloading things and handing them off to my dad or bringing them in myself, I was soaked. So, I borrowed a shirt from my mom and some socks and put my things in the dryer.

My dad and I then proceeded to start the making of the enchiladas. We made 28 enchiladas for nine people. We also made yellow rice and I brought along homemade salsa and a seven layer dip that I had made earlier that morning. A little before 4:30 I put the enchiladas in the oven and soon after folks started arriving.In attendance were my three grandparents, my parents, Jackie, Erika and Naaman who was without his wife Cheryl. She had family visiting from out of town and was visiting with them. Before the meal, we had a toast to my paying off my student loans. I love to make toasts, so it was just something I wanted to do. We then ate, opened gifts and spent the rest of the evening talking, or listening I should sy to some hilarious stories from my dad's youth. After everyone left, we got the kitchen cleaned up and The Tide ad I headed home as well. It was a fun night with family and friends.

On Sunday, I didn't do much of anything other than go to church and watch the Super Bowl and of course watch this week's episode of Downtown Abbey. BEST! SHOW! EVER! Once again the weekend wasn't long enough, but that's how it goes I guess. Hope you all had a nice weekend as well.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Thank you for going all over town to find enchilada mix :) The food was delicious as always!
It was also fun to see Tide and Scout interact :)
The Parker gatherings are always so fun; thank you for including me!

Alison said...

Sounds like fun, I'm so glad you had a good birthday. Mr. Donut, huh...We'll see...

Melissa said...

Nothing like running errands in the pouring rain..no fun! Get you some new shoes to keep your feet dry :)