Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Movie Experience and Review: The Vow

So as mentioned yesterday, I went to see The Vow on Friday night. Jackie had emailed me late last week and asked if I had any weekend plans and guess what - I didn't. She asked if I wanted to go see the Vow with her and instead of saying, "are you freakin' kidding me, that movie looks ridiculous!" I said, "Yeah, maybe, just let me know. I could probably use a good cry - had one at the end of The Descendants last week too! And of course, I love to feast on buttered popcorn and get smacked in the face by scarves wrapped around the necks of old women." Yes, that was my actual response. I just copied it out of an email. What was I thinking you may ask? Well, I was thinking that my good friend wanted to go see a sappy movie and since she asked me to go I would be a good friend and go along with her despite my dislike for the uber sappy. So, I went.

On my way to the theater I was almost run over by an Ohio State grad who clearly didn't realize that the people coming off of Carl T. Jones had the right of way and no stop sign; thankfully I made it in one piece. As I was pulling in, I got a text from Jackie that said our friend Maria was coming too and my thought was this: "Well, if I had known Jackie had someone to watch this sappy movie with I would have kept my butt at home." I'm such a loving friend, aren't I? Look, I'm just being honest here. I had absolutely zero interest in seeing this movie. Real life isn't like the romantic movies and it's just depressing to watch it all play out on screen not to mention that these movies are so predictable! (I love you, Jackie!)

Anyway, I walked up to the entrance and was surprised to see that it was a VERY light crowd for a Friday night; they didn't even have the side concession stand open. I guess there weren't any big openers this past weekend. We got some snacks from the concession stand and made our way inside to find some seats. I then took the opportunity to have a bathroom break. One of the very wonderful things about going to the movies with people is that you don't have to take your popcorn into the bathroom with you; instead you can leave it in the seat and your friends will guard it for you and maybe even take a bite or two. I don't know.

The previews started and there weren't any that overly impressed me. We had a good laugh about the What to Expect When You're Expecting (if that's even the name of it) preview but other than that, there wasn't much to brag about. There was one preview from Prometheus about aliens taking over the planet which is probably why I dreamed that night that aliens took over the planet. Side note: I have had the strangest dreams as of late.

The movie finally started and it was one of the most frustrating films I have seen in a long while. As you may know, I get easily frustrated with movies like The Hangover because the obstacles in the way are so unrealistic, but this was a different type of frustration. I was frustrated because the girl couldn't remember her husband, because she went to live with her parents instead of her husband even though she had been estranged from them for five years, that she went back to put the moves on her ex-fiancé, that she was mean and not understanding that her husband was also having a difficult time, I could go on. As Jackie said, "it's like one awkward scene after another." Amen to that, sister. There were multiple times that I wanted to throw my contraband Diet Coke bottle at the screen because I was so frustrated. Is there another word for frustrated? Aggravated, maybe?

The film is actually based on the true story of Kim and Krickitt Carpenter, which now I am dying to know how much of it is truly based on them. Was she really from a rich family? Did she really drop out of law school... twice? Did they really get married in an art museum? Was she really a sculptor? Was she really estranged from her parents? Were his parents really dead? So many questions; so few answers. Lester Holt, if you are reading this, would you please do a Dateline NBC special on this couple? Inquiring minds want to know, thanks! The one thing I do know, the real life couple is not as good looking as Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum. AND, I've said it before on here and will say it again - where are the other Cullman boys that look like Channing Tatum because I sure as heck have never come across any!

Overall, it wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. I doubt I'm giving anything away when I tell you that the couple ends up getting back together at the end of the movie. Unless you really love these types of movies though, I would suggest waiting until it comes out for rental on Netflix, Redbox, etc. because I had rather spend my money on some other movie such as The Descendants. It's really good, y'all!

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen The Grey? It has gotten such good reviews and I am so curious to hear from someone who has actually seen it because it seems like a strange story.

Despite all the sentimental romantic mumbo jumbo in this movie, I still had a good time seeing it with my friends, and that's worth more than $9 no matter how you look at it!

4 comments:

Tony said...

I actually went to the see The Grey two weeks ago. It wasn't horrible but it didn't leave me that impressed. I am not sure what it was about it but it failed to leave me satisfied at the end....whatever that means. ;) I guess I could give it the ol' "pretty good" rating but that might be a stretch.

Erika said...

I think I'll pass on The Vow....thanks for the honest review!

Alison said...

I love Liam Neeson (Mr. "I have a particular set of skills"), but seeing a photo of him with his broken-bottle hand weapons just made me think, "Huh?". Also, wolves? Very shy. Anyway! You are a better person than I am as the prospect of seeing The Vow just makes me cringe, but then I'm not really a romantic movie person...

Jackie said...

she was not forced at gun point to see this movie nor will I be picking the movies from now on:) Jeez!