Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My 35th

As far as birthday weeks go, this one has been rather low-key. Erika kicked off my birthday festivities on Tuesday night when she hosted a group of friends at her house for taco soup and delicious birthday cake. We had a lovely time and actually called it an early night compared to most nights we get together. I think I was home by 9:15 but I was tired and hopefully didn't appear to be ungracious.

On Wednesday, my actual birthday, there wasn't much activity. I went to work (I think everyone should get their birthday as a day off from work, don't you?) and had a pretty busy morning and a very slow afternoon. Thankfully Jackie had a slow afternoon as well and we emailed back and forth on all manner of subject including how when we are living next to each other in the retirement home we will drink hot tea in the afternoons like the Brits. All the other old folks will probably be jealous of how awesome we are. Sadly, because it was the end of January, I went pack to parking in the lot with all the other peons. You may recall that I won one of the close up parking spots for January for our United Way campaign. I'll get to park there again in March, but it was just kind of a bummer that I had to give it up on my birthday of all days.

After work, I was supposed to meet my parents for an early bird dinner at Red Lobster, but because my dad has bronchitis and didn't want to get out in the yucky weather (yes, it's raining again!) we postponed until Friday. So, instead, I stopped by I Love Sushi and treated myself to a delightful dinner. Before I went there though, I stopped by Schlotsky's and picked up my free small original sandwich which was one of the birthday coupons I received via email. No, I didn't eat that as well. The coupon was set to expire on Saturday and so I went ahead and picked it up for my lunch on Thursday. Not having to pack a lunch in the morning is an added bonus.

Wednesday night I went to church and along with my friends Lisa and Candy, taught the toddlers about the animals God made. I'm changing up the lesson next quarter to families because quite frankly, I've had enough of animals. That was it - pretty uneventful.

This weekend, my parents are having a little birthday soiree for some friends and family. My dad and I are making enchiladas - yum! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who called, tweeted, emailed, sent a text, or left a birthday comment. Here's to hoping years #35 will be a memorable one!

The cake Erika made for my birthday!


Me and my cake!

2 comments:

Erika said...

It's official - time for me to sign up for cake decorating lessons!
I'm glad that you treated yourself to a lovely dinner; everyone deserves a special treat on their birthday.
Looking forward to all the festivites for Saturday!

Kimberly Washer said...

That is a great picture of you! Happy birthday!!!!!