Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Case of the Belated Birthday Cookie

Perhaps this will be the last "the Case of" for a while, but you never can tell. Today is the first day of March - really? I mean, where did January and February go? It's just crazy how fast the days pass by; sometimes I feel like my life is one big blur, do you? One good thing about moving into the month of March is that I am once again parking in a prime parking spot. I won a good spot for January, March, July and September of this year and I love having a spot close to the entrance. It's very nice indeed.

So, as you may recall, my birthday was on February 1. I have a friend at work, Alex, who forgot my birthday. I mean, it was mentioned on twitter and other places and he didn't even so much as say hello to me on my big day. A couple of weeks ago he sent me a message and I mentioned that he missed my birthday and he apparently felt bad about that.

This week he started asking me about what kind of cake I liked; so, I figured he was probably going to get me a slice of cake or a cupcake or something along those lines; but, while I am a lover of cake, I don't really have a favorite. I have a lot of varieties that I would not eat (German Chocolate, Coconut, anything with coconut) but for the most part I am a big fan of flour and eggs mixed together and baked in an oven. One of my favorites, however, is the cake Erika makes and I’m pretty sure my friend and Erika don’t know each other so it’s not like he could call her up.

On Leap Day, Alex stopped by my desk and asked if I liked chocolate chip cookies. I do! In fact, chocolate chip cookies are probably one of my most favorite things in the world - I guess I get that from my granddad as he is a lover of the chocolate chip cookie too.

So, today, one month after my birthday, Alex brought over a cookie cake that said "Happy Birthday -N- one month". It took me half the morning to understand it meant Happy Birthday and a month because it seemed like it was saying Happy Birthday in one month.

Anyway, my friends and I enjoyed the cookie cake at lunch today and for the rest of the afternoon. I had lots of people ask if it is my birthday and when I said no it was a month ago, some people asked if the cookie cake was a month old. Needless to say, the cookie cake brought lots of laughs today, and laughter, dear ones, is always a good thing. I guess you could say we celebrated my 35 years and one month birthday today. Perhaps we should have a celebration on the first of every month? I might have to see what I can do about that. A big thanks to my friend for bringing me the cookie cake and lots of laughter to boot!

4 comments:

Kimberly Washer said...

Happy Birthday and one month!! I love cookie cake. Wish I had a piece right now!

Erika said...

Wow! I would say a cookie cake definitely makes up for being a month late with birthday wishes.

It's kind of fun to drag out celebrations for as long as possible anyways ;)

Alison said...

Most of the time I don't miss chocolate, but looking at that... What I wouldn't give to have a piece of that! Happy Birthday and one month!

Melissa said...

How sweet was that?!?! I think a belated birthday treat would be even more fun than when it is expected - i.e., on your birthday :)