Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What Have You Got To Lose?

So, y'all know I love to save money and try to do so in each and every way I possibly can. I recently read on one of the money saving blogs I read that you should call your internet service provider every few months and see about getting a lower price, or a promotional price and once that runs out, call them again. I stored this little nugget of information in the back of my head and didn't think much about it again.

Last week my dear friend David stopped by my cubicle for a visit and told me about his recent call to DirecTV. Last year about this time, he called and complained about a gaming channel they were doing away with and so he threatened to change service providers and they gave him some free movie channels and $20 off his monthly bill for a year. This month, David’s promotional $20 off per month ended. So, he gave them a call and asked what they could do to help him out – times are tough, man! So they gave him $20 off per month for another year.

David inspired me to make my own phone call and so on Thursday night, I called DirecTV and asked them what they could do for me. After speaking with a third person, I was also offered $20 off per month for six months. I took the deal. The guy I spoke with said I could call back in six months and ask for it again. Then we continued talking because I had a question about an old receiver I wanted to send back. As a result of asking about the receiver, the guy I was talking with discovered I was being overcharged for a receiver that wasn’t being used and he gave me a credit. He could only go back six months on the credit so that was another $36.

The next day when I logged into my account, my bill, which is usually around $106 was only $45 for the month of April! Score! It was so worth the phone call.

David later called his internet service provider and ended up with $20 off per month of that bill as well. I haven’t called mine yet, but it’s on the agenda. In this competitive society we live in most companies will do what they can to keep your business and it will benefit you as well. So, pick up the phone and give your cable, dish, and internet companies a call this week and let us know your success stories!

2 comments:

Erika said...

That is awesome! Totally worth a few phone calls!

Alison said...

Mark used to do that every year with Mediacom. Very cool. This year we really did switch because it was just so much cheaper with the built in DVR instead of using our TIVO unit. Now, we don't have to pay for TIVO and the service, just the service.

THanks for the book, by the way! It's really great! As soon as I finish my weight loss challenge, I'll be cooking up a Pioneer storm!