Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Music Review: Tuskegee



My college roomie, Melissa, left a comment earlier this week asking me to post a book review; and, while I would love to oblige her, today is not the day. I haven't really read anything as wonderful as The Hunger Games lately, but I am reading something right now that is getting better by the day so I may have a review of that book before too long. I will try to put something together for Melissa and the rest of you before then on some books I liked and maybe haven't reviewed on here.

In the meantime, however, I did want to tell you all about a really great new album I purchased from iTunes this week. The name of the album (I have a hard time spelling and typing that word) is Tuskegee and it's by none other than Tuskegee native, Lionel Ritchie - love that guy! This album is a remix, if you will, of some of Lionel's (yes, we're on a first name basis) greatest hits. However, instead of Lionel singing along by himself or with some anonymous back-up singers, he sings with some well-known country music stars. Well, they may be well known to you; not all of them are well known to me.

I'm not a fan of country music by any stretch of the imagination, but I must admit, I really love this album. It's got a classic Lionel sound, but also a new twist and it brings these old classics to life once more. My favorite song I think is probably "Stuck On You" with Darius Rucker, which may not surprise many of you that know I am secretly a big time fan of Hootie and the Blowfish. Blake Shelton and Lionel open up the album with “You Are” which is also a good one.

Other artists include Jason Aldean (who my little cousin Sydney likes) singing “Say You, Say Me”, and Tim McGraw singing on “Sail On”. There are also songs with Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson.

If you are a lover of Lionel like I am, then I really think you will like this album a lot. I would almost venture to say I love it more than the originals…almost. It is truly great and I have been listening to it ever since I downloaded it. If you are looking for some good music, then give Tuskegee a try and then try not to sing out loud while listening at work – it’s not an easy task!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I will stay tuned for future book reviews :) Lionel is on The Voice as a coach - can't remember if you have mentioned watching that show before. Everyone likes Lionel :)

Erika said...

Sounds like something I would like!

Alison said...

Not my kind of music, but here's some trivia: Mark is related to Mr. Lionel. Lionel Ritchie's mother's maiden name is Brockman. It's pretty distant. :)

Matt said...

There was a piece on NPR about this album that I heard on the way home today. Really good stuff.