Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Was Number Three

Yesterday was primary voting day here in Alabama –so exciting! I arrived at my polling location a few minutes before the polls opened at 7:00 a.m. I was probably the fourth or fifth person in line, but I was the third person to turn in my ballot; probably because I was the youngest person there and didn’t have to take 45 minutes to read everything on the ballot – including the 1,000 delegates listed.

It was a little chaotic when 7:00 a.m. rolled around. There was a new inspector at our poll and he looked as though he didn’t have a clue as to what was going on around him. He had a gaggle of old women working for him and they seemed like they didn’t know what to do either even though I know some of them have been working at this polling location for a good long while.

I had to point out my name to the lady checking identification and then the lady printing our name on the form couldn’t even see the name printed on the driver’s license; another lady had to read it out to her. Then she had to go retrieve her glasses so she could see. Finally I was handed a ballot and filled it out quickly since I already knew for whom I would cast my lot.

After work, I stopped back by the voting location because I wanted to give my name and information to the poll inspector and let him know I was interested in working future elections. My dad is the inspector at his poll and I am familiar with the process and would like to be a worker, plus extra money is never a bad thing. When I went in to talk to him, he once again looked like he didn’t have a clue as to what was going on around him. My dad’s precinct runs like a well-oiled machine; my precinct, not so much. Maybe one day I will get the call and eventually arrange a coup and take over as inspector. I have no doubt I would do a good job.

After my evening stop by the polling location, I headed home for the day. I had grand plans of returning to the gym, but spent most of the day sniffling and sneezing and decided to wait until Thursday to make my triumphant return to the bike. Hopefully I won’t gain 10 pounds in the next couple of days. The remainder of the evening was spent watching results come in. Most all of the folks I voted for won so it was a good night in my book. I guess the next election, if you don’t have a run-off in your precinct will be for city elections and you already know who gets my vote for mayor – the lovely Loretta!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

It took a sweet forever for the precious older women to go through & find everyone's names at my precinct. God love them I know they were doing their best.