Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brothers: A Review






On Monday night, Tony and I went to see the movie Brothers. This movie is based on the 2004 Danish film, Brødre. Brothers stars Tobey Maguire (AKA Spiderman), Jake Gyllenhaal, and Natalie Portman. I had seen the preview for this film months ago and told Jackie that I definitely wanted to see it when it came out. The previews were so intense and I knew this was a movie I wouldn’t want to miss.

Tobey Maguire plays Sam Chill, a captain in the US Marine Corps. Mr. Gyllenhaal is Tommy Cahill, Sam’s brother who has just been released from prison for (from what I could piece together) robbing a bank. Natalie Portman plays Grace Cahill, the wife of Sam.

When the movie opens, Sam is soon to leave for another tour in Afghanistan. After saying his goodbyes to his family, we see different scenes of Grace and the kids back home and Sam in Afghanistan. Sam’s helicopter is shot down and Grace is informed that he has died. After Sam’s funeral, Tommy starts coming around and helping Grace with the kids and doing some much needed home renovation. All the while, however, Sam is alive and no one knows it because he is being held prisoner.

I won’t give much more away. I’m sure if you have seen the previews, you know that Sam makes it back home, but the events that occur before and after he arrive home are basically the “meat” of the movie and I wouldn’t want to ruin it for you.

Overall this film was good, and it was indeed intense, just as I predicted. The ending was a bit open ended and left the viewer wanting more, but that’s usually how it goes in these types of movies. So, I can’t really say I was surprised. If you’re thinking about seeing this one in the theater, I would wait and watch it on DVD. There are many more movies out now that would be better to see on the big screen; and movies ain’t cheap, ya know?

FYI - The most interesting part of the evening was when I got up during the movie to go to the restroom. I walked in on two folks having sex in the handicapped stall. I won't be blogging about this; but, if you see me soon, be sure and ask me about it. It makes for interesting conversation, I assure you!

2 comments:

Mary McLaughlin said...

Saw the movie last weekend. It was very good but I was disappointed by the ending...to open-ended for me! I also wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE with a family member in the military!

Candy said...

Thank you so much for this! I have really wanted to see this and wasn't sure if it was as good as the previews looked. I'm def going to check it out now. BTW- LOVE love Natalie Portman. One of my all time favs.