Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas with My Other Family


Yes, I was wearing my glasses last night.


Last night I had Christmas with Jackie, Troy, Ashlyn, Tim and Jan. It was great. We really had a nice time. Jan prepared a wonderful meal of roast beef, black-eyed peas, salad (she made my favorite) and The Pioneer Woman’s mashed potatoes. I didn’t even know Jan knew who PW was!






This is the first time I have ever seen Jackie in an apron!

After dinner we had dessert. Jackie had been preparing the cake when I got there last night. It was a lemon rosemary cake. Well, the cake didn’t completely cool so I suggested she put it out in the garage or in the garage fridge to keep it cool. So, she did and after dinner she went to retrieve the cake, which she proceeded to drop on the garage floor. I didn’t witness this event, but the kids did and of course thought it to be hilarious. Somehow she managed to save most of the cake and we were able to eat some. It was also very good. I should have taken a picture of the disheveled cake, but didn’t think about it.





Troy is helping with dinner

Then we played a table topic game. Troy read the questions from the cards and we went around the table answering the questions. It was a lot of fun and it was interesting to see what everyone’s answers were.





The table - a lovely display and a good example fo my terrible photography!

Then it was time to open gifts – the most exciting part of the evening for the kids. They were, of course, ready to open gifts as soon as I had arrived.

I went first. Tim and Jan gave me a cake pan from the Cake Pan Lady. Jan had seen these on The Pioneer Woman’s blog and she got one for both me and Jackie. I had also seen them on The Pioneer Woman’s site and had even “favorited” the site so I could order myself one sometime. Now there’s no need! A great gift! They also gave me a gift certificate to the movies and a lovely pair of earrings. From Jackie and the kids I received a framed photo of the three of them. It’s a great picture and I look forward to displaying it in my home. They also gave me a gift certificate to get a pedicure, which I am so thankful for because I recently wanted to get one, but didn’t want to spend the money. All the gifts were awesome and I am so thankful to have received them.





The top of my cake pan!





It says' from Natasha J's Kitchen

The kids went next. I got Troy an Electronic Hyperslide and a Harry Potter sticker book and Ashlyn got a Strawberry Shortcake play set and sticker book. I think they both liked their gifts; at least I hope so! I gave Jackie a combo birthday/Christmas gift earlier this year; but, I wanted her to have something to open so she received a personalized Christmas ornament from me.





Ashlyn and her sticker book





Ashlyn plays with her Strawberry Shortcake assortment





Troy opens a gift

Do you remember last week when I met The Pioneer Woman? Well, one of the cookbooks I had signed was for Jan. So, I was very happy that she knew who The Pioneer Woman was! She was very surprised and I think she really enjoyed the book. I gave Tim a gift card to Red Lobster since he takes the family there so often. If it were up to Troy, Tim would spend his life savings at Red Lobster. I also got a gift for Jackie's dog, Belle, only to find out that Belle no longer resides at Jackie's home. Well, that made The Tide happy!





Jan is perusing the PW Cookbook

So, that was my first Christmas exchange for the season. It was a fun time and for the first time this holiday season, I felt “Christmassy.” I really appreciate Tim and Jan and all they have done for me throughout my life. They are truly like a second set of parents to me and I love them very much! Jackie has been a great friend over the years and I am thankful to have her as my “sister.” Love you too, girl!





Christmas - 17 years ago!





And here we are in 2009 - I should have worn the Christmas bow in my hair last night!



2 comments:

Jackie said...

I think that is the first time I have ever worn an apron..ha ha! We had loads of fun and the kids loved their gifts.

Janice Bell said...

I loved the post you need to write a book. We loved our presents. I have started reading the book and I love it. Thank you so much sweetie