Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jim Brickman in Concert







Yesterday afternoon, I received an email from the lovely Erika. She had two free tickets to the Jim Brickman concert and asked me if I would like to accompany her. Now I am not a Jim Brickman fan. He’s a bit too sappy for me; but, since I’ve been looking for something to put me in the holiday spirit, I said, sure, why not, I don’t have any plans. So, to the Jim Brickman concert we went.


We actually went to eat dinner first and then headed over to the VBC. I decided to park under the South Hall since it would allow us to walk inside all the way to the concert hall, and it was a very cold night. Well, to our surprise, there was no one taking up parking money there and we were able to park for free! Score!

The show started at 8:00 p.m., which was a little late for our taste, and we hoped that the piano playing of Jim and the singing by Jim and his friends would not lull us to sleep. A little bit after 8:00, Jim came on the stage. He sat down at the piano and played a few songs. I guess I am not as familiar with good ole Jim as I thought I was because I was expecting him to sing, but he just played the piano, and it was quite lovely. After a few songs, Jim introduced his buddy, Tracy Silverman, a jazz violinist. This guy could really rock the violin, but he was also a little bit scary. His hair was wild and crazy and his violin playing was a little more than we had bargained for. It wasn’t soft and lovely, but crazy and loud, but he plays quite well. I guess it was just a bit of a shock for the two of us.








The next guest to come out was Garrett Viggers, and he played the hammered dulcimer. My mom is a big fan of the dulcimer, and I have to admit, I like it as well. He played beautifully and it was a great addition to the show. Later in another couple of songs he sat on and beat a box which he called a cajon, which is actually Spanish for box. These folks cracked some really corny jokes, but the audience ate it up.


















Anne Cochran came out next and finally we heard some singing! She had a lovely voice but she looked absolutely miserable when she sang. She literally looked like she was about to cry every time she paused in a song. Apparently she and Jim Brickman went to high school together. She told us that she and her husband recently had their 25th wedding anniversary, which is no small feat in today’s society, and that made me smile.









After Anne came Mark Masri. He is from Toronto and in addition to his beautiful singing voice, he also has a beautiful face. I told Erika she should find out if he is single. He sings in five languages and sang a song in Italian; it was one of the songs from a Josh Groban album, and since I love Josh Groban, well, I obviously think Josh sings it better. But, Mark did really well for a copycat.








At intermission, Erika bought some popcorn and we entered to win a spot on the Jim Brickman cruise to Alaska. Why? Well, why not? I could use a free cruise. I was looking through the photos I had taken in the first half and an usher told me that we were not allowed to take photos. Well, it wasn’t announced, nor was it listed on the ticket, and other people were taking photos as well. So, being the rebel that I am, I took some photos in the second half as well. And while we are on the subject of photos, let me just say that it took me a while to find a good setting for the dark concert hall. I used the flash a couple of times and practically embarrassed Erika to pieces! I finally settled on the sports mode, which takes multiple shots per second without the flash and I took them when the light on the stage was brighter, which seemed to work ok. I am taking photography starting in January and hope to learn some better tricks of the trade at that time.

To start the second half, Tracy played the violin while Garrett picked on the dulcimer again. I really enjoyed that part, even though Erika and I laughed when Tracy came on stage. His hair, as I mentioned before was scary. He actually reminded me of Kenny G.








Throughout the show all of Jim’s friends joined him on stage. And they sang and picked and played and it was all very lovely. However, towards the end of the second half, I was ready for bed and was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. At the end of the show, the audience game Jim and his friends a standing ovation. Erika and I kept our seats as we didn’t feel the show was standing ovation worthy. After the show was over, all of Jim's friends were signing autographs. I told Erika we should see if Tracy the violinist would autograph something "Kenny G."








Here’s the final verdict: we were glad we didn’t pay to see this show. In fact it was said, “I would have been really disappointed if I had paid to see that.” Jim and his friends didn’t play or sing any traditional Christmas songs, which is what Erika and I were expecting. Jim played his own songs and not all of them were Christmas related. I was really hoping for a night of traditional Christmas songs that would put me a jolly holiday mood. Not to mention the fact that after every song Jim played on the piano, he held his arms out to the side and lifted them up in slow motion. I really wish I had a video of this to show you how corny it was. If you see me soon, please ask for a demonstration. Also, a lot of the time when Jim was “joking” or “casually talking” to the audience, I got the impression he was really full of himself. Needless to say, the next time Jim comes to Huntsville, I doubt I’ll be going, unless of course Erika scores some free tickets.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

Sorry the show wasn't exciting, but your post about it was pretty entertaining :)

Debbie said...

Well Gnat, as you were snapping in front of my face, I was trying to enjoy songs such as O Holy Night, Silent Night, Do You Hear What I Hear, Joy To The World, Greensleeves, The Drummer Boy, Away In A Manger, Jingle Bells,Santa Claus Is Coming To Town . With regards to Anne "Happy" Cochran, she blew me away in every aspect of the show. For the record,Mark's Italian song was originally made famous by Pavarotti. Tracy is much more handsome than Kenny G, and I heard a rumor that he wears a wig. By the way, Garrett was great and very cute. I do agree with you regarding Jim. He thinks he's the cat's "meow." Hey how did you score free tickets?

Amy said...

I was also at the concert in Huntsville, and I tend to disagree with your review. I actually quite enjoyed it. And as Debbie pointed out there was quite a bit of Christmas music. So, I'm not sure what concert you were attending.

And also, I just want to say that I have met Jim on several occasions, and I have never found him to be arrogant or full of himself. He's actually an absolute sweetheart.. (and adorable!!)

One thing I did notice though, was that Garrett seemed to have a perma-grin on the entire show. Although his box was pretty cool.

At any rate, I had a great time, and I hope everyone has a great Christmas!

Holly from Bellflower, CA said...

My friends and I saw the show in Cerritos, CA (the first date on the tour). We all enjoyed the show, but were especially taken with Mark Maseri. Being Grobanites (Josh Groban fans), we were particularly interested in his version of "Caruso." We actually thought he sang it with much more feeling than Josh did. After the show we told him that. He said that he felt humbled since he feels Josh is a "world-class artist." Oh, BTW, on Mark's newest CD "Christmas Is...", he does mention his wife Angela and son Lucas.

Sheila said...

I saw the show in Kansas City and I agree with Amy, Debbie and Holly! It was fantastic, but I do agree with Nat, that as wonderful a singer as Anne is, she did seem a bit distracted or sad, probably since her child has gone off to college. I think she sings with so much emotion. Her dresses are always so beautiful. I also thought that the dulcimer guy was smiling but also very into his guitar playing. Yes, I always thought that Tracy wore a wig. Mark is an amazing singer and very happily married. He told me that he was married when he signed my cd after the show. As for Jim, he is such a talent and a really nice guy! He's actually quite funny and you probably just don't get his humor. Well off to bed. Happy Holidays!

Carol from Ft. Wayne said...

I've been to 6 shows over the last 8 years, 4 as VIP, and I can tell you that Jim is everything he seems to be onstage--humble and warm. At least to his VIP fans. So is Anne, and her dresses are marvelous, although I have seen her wear the same red one many times. But, I guess it if works for you...Merry Xmas everyone.

Monique said...

Like Carol, I've seen the "Jim and Anne" show a number of times over the years. I've certainly come to appreciate the humor, music and spirit that fills each show, but I can't help but feel like Anne thinks its her show at times. I mean, I get the whole act and all, but perhaps a little overdone. One other thing that I question is Anne's sense of style when it comes to selecting her gowns. Is it just me, or are they looking more dated every year? Poor thing...that's probably due to her lack of exposure to fashion forward thinking coming from a small town like Cleveland. She's a doll, none the less, and so talented.
As for new comer Garrett Biggers, someone needs to tell him that the 70's called and they want their hairstyle back. Plays a mean hammer dulcimer though. I could do without the bombastic vocal stylings of that Mark Masseri - I mean nice voice and all, but the last thing we need is another Groban on speed. Can't stand that guy either. Now, my fav of all is Tracy -he's AMAZING!!!!!! You all keep saying stuff about a wig...that's craziness. If that's a wig, then tell me where he got it, because I want those curls for my husband. Anyway, I'm glad I got to see the tour this year and can't wait to see what Jim comes up with next. Such an amazing artist, that Jim Brickman

Candy said...

I myself just enjoyed Natasha doing the Jim Brickman impression. Hilarious! Encore Encore! I feel like throwing my arms up and closing my eyes everytime something good happens :)

Anonymous said...

I've never met Jim Brickman or been to any of his concerts (tho I've seen some of his performances on Youtube), but I've been a fan of his stuff for about a year now after a friend started playing "Angel Eyes" for me out of a sheet music book. I just thought it was one of the loveliest things I'd ever heard and immediately zoomed around downloading all things Brickman and shelled out for my own copy of his "best-of" music book. As a fairly experienced pianist, I find his music beautiful and fun to play--challenging but not too challenging.

Gotta say tho, that thing he does with his arms is pretty hilarious! Maybe he thinks it looks impressive...I just think it looks dorky! Reminds me a little of Khan doing his exercises in that old Star Trek episode...anybody remember that one...anybody? Anyway, he sure does have a handsome face...a little on the shady side, but handsome. As for Anne, I'd say she's more full of herself than Jim is of himself. Her whole attitude drives me nuts...can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just HER! Jim, I can kinda see why some people would say he was arrogant from some of the things he says on-stage, but I get the impression that off-stage he really is just a nice guy who likes to give credit to other people.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I saw him for the first time last night in Sacramento. We were given tickets as a gift. Sorry to say...we left at the intermission. The original post was perfect so I won't repeat, but I am glad I didn't pay for the tickets. It was a bit like grocery store or dental office music. ...every instrumental song sounded so much the same. I liked the vocalists voices, however they over shot their mics several times making me want to put my fingers in my ears. Oh well, to each their own. He certainly has a lot of fans...I'm just not one of them.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I also attended the Jim Brickman Concert, in Sacramento. We had never seen him in concert. before, and we would definitely go back. We loved his songs and he is very funny. We didn't know that he was going to have singers with him, so that was an added bonus. My husband LOVED Ann Cochran's voice and her looks. She was also very sweet to us, when we chatted with her, after the show. I thought she was excellent, too, but his other singer, Mark Masri, although very good looking, really seemed full of himself. He did have a great voice and sang an Italian song, but, I think he tries a little too hard and has watched Star Search and American Idol, one too many times. In all, it was very good and we will definitely go back to see another concert

Doug said...

We have been fans of Jim and company for over 8 years. Over that time period, we have seen him in different cities, with different artists as well as by himself. We are VIP members and any concert we go to, we do talk with him as well as everyone else. Each one of them knows who we are. I do have to say that all their humor, mannerisms, personalities are consistent with what they do on stage. They are very humbled by what God has given them. We have also seen Tracy perform outside of Jim's concert. We have seen him develop as a stage presence for years. Not only can he play in the background, he can also be a lead person as well. We totally love his music, but as it is. I listen to many types of music. His style has a place and time. Sappy...I wouldn't say. How about going to a show, getting wrapped up in the music, forgetting out life for a while and living without a care in the world. That, to me is worth the price of admission. There is a Jim style of playing songs. He doesn't hide it...called Brickmanizing. I tell you what, I like what he can do with most songs. It is refreshing to hear common songs be transformed into a different arrangement. Anyone can go and play Jingle Bells...But Jim does it with style and a different twist to the song. I am very thankful for his gift to take me away for a few hours several times a year.

Anonymous said...

Wow. How old ARE you? You post sounds as if you're one of those 80-yr old cranky women that doesn't like to be out after 8 p.m.
I'm just shaking my head....

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat,

I haven't been to a Jim Brickman show in several years but I have attended a number of them in the past because I used to work for Jim and I can vouch for what you said about Jim being full of himself. That's actually putting it mildly. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who described Jim as "warm," "a sweetheart" or whatever haven't actually known him personally. As is the case with many entertainers, what Jim shows the public is VERY different from what he shows you in private. In fact, they're pretty much polar opposites. Most of us who worked for Jim when I did were not fans of his (or fans of his music, for that matter). The phrase "drama queen" is probably the first one that comes to mind when I think of Jim.

For what it's worth, I've worked with other musicians since Jim and most of them have been very nice people -- even the ones who are more famous than he is. So it's not a matter of fame. I think that there are well-known people who are nice and well-known people who aren't nice, as with pretty much any category of people.