Monday, June 7, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday Margaret!

Rudye and her sister Margaret - the birthday girl

This past weekend was busy – packed full of unsuccessful adventures (more on this later) and fun activities. This first of the fun was my best friend Margaret’s 90th birthday party which was on Saturday morning from 10 –noon.

Earlier in the week, Margaret’s sister Rudye called and asked me if I would serve cake and of course I agreed! How could I not help out?! After all Margaret is my best friend. You see, Margaret would always tell me I was her best friend when I would see her at church. Then one day a few years ago, I was walking by a classroom and I heard her tell my friend Janet, “You are my best friend.” So, of course, me being me, I stopped in my tracks and said, “Margaret, I caught you! I thought I was your best friend.” It has become a bit of an inside joke for me, Margaret and Janet, and we often laugh about it when we are around each other.

So, I arrived at the party a little early to get set up for serving cake and to take a few pictures. (Please excuse the outfit I was wearing. I have no idea why I went with this but needless to say it was less than flattering and it looked like I weighed about 20 pounds more than I actually do – not that you care, but I do. Thanks for letting me get that out.)


Me and the birthday girl!

The party was a huge success and had a steady stream of people for the whole two hours. That’s a lot of cake cutting! Margaret was afraid no one would come which is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard because she is one of the most loved people at our church. She and her sister Rudye will make you laugh any time you are around them. They have a quick wit and are absolutely hilarious. I heard a story at the party that their hair dresser calls them the Dynamic Duo and it is certainly the truth.


Margaret and her hairdresser

Three men showed up to the party even though it was for women only. The first man was with his wife and was someone I didn’t know. The second man was Lisa’s granddad, Mr. Hendrixson and I imagine he came because he had to drive his wife, Mrs. Connie. The third man was Mark Rowe, father of my friends Shelley and Kimberly. I imagine he came because he’s unconventional and wouldn’t have it any other way!

Today is actually the day of Margaret’s Birthday – 90 years old! That’s amazing! I hope you have many more birthdays Margaret because you are an absolute delight to be around and I am proud to call you my best friend!


The serving table


A lady from church made these "M" shortbread cookies


The birthday cake


The flowers were so pretty


The first guests come through the door


Guests enjoying cake


Here is my friend Candy (right) talking to my friend Pat.
I gave Candy a piece of cake with a rose because she loves icing like nobody's business!


Here's my friend Lisa with another friend Claudette.
Claudette's is actually Lisa's aunt by marriage and is also a great teacher!



Mr. Hendrixson, the second of three male guests


Mark Rowe the third of three male guests - getting a hug from Lisa


The cards Margaret received for her birthday.

No comments: