Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Recap

Hello, is anyone out there? It's been a long time since anyone commented on this blog. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is reading these days. How was your Memorial Day weekend? I hope those of you that work enjoyed the day off; I know I did. I also took last Friday off so that I could enjoy a four day weekend. I had lots of activities planned; but unfortunately some of them didn’t happen because of rain.

On Friday, Tony and I had plans to go over to Decatur and attend the Daikin Festival. I had never heard of this before, but a man I work with told me about it and I thought it sounded like fun. Of course, the festival was outside and it started raining Friday afternoon into the night and I didn’t particularly want to hang out in the rain; so, we cancelled those plans and went to Olive Garden and watched Couples Retreat instead. It was just as funny the second time around.

Saturday I had thought about going to Decatur for the Alabama Jubilee to watch the early morning hot air balloon races. I was going to ask my dad to go with me since I know he likes hot air balloons; but I opted to stay in town and go to the gym instead – I think there’s something wrong with me! So, Saturday was spent cleaning house, going to the grocery store and watching softball and hockey on TV – I know you are jealous of how awesome my day was.

Sunday Tony and I saw two movies at the theater, which I will be reviewing later in the week. One was terrible, the other was really good, which is usually how it goes when we see two movies the same night. It’s our curse I suppose.

On Monday morning, Tony came over about 6:30 and made sure the tires on my bike were pumped up and we headed out on our bikes up Bankhead Parkway to Tollgate. I did a lot of complaining and heavy breathing; but looking back on it, it really wasn’t that bad and I’m planning to do it again soon. I hope to build up my endurance on this part of the course and perhaps make it all the way up the mountain one day not so soon. At any rate, we went up to Tollgate and Mountain Wood to watch the Cotton Row runners come up the big treacherous hill. Tony said he wanted to see the agony on their faces. I had a grand time. Tony was actually feeling sick so I don’t think he enjoyed it as much as I did. There were over 4,000 runners this year and in the mass of people coming up the hill I missed seeing everyone I know. Actually, I recognized a few people – someone from the gym, the son of a couple at church, another face or two – but no one I could yell and cheer for. Three of my cousins, and a score of other people I know ran in the race and I saw not one of them as they came by. It probably didn’t help that the HPD was letting cars pass right in front of us as we watched; which brings me to a complaint.

The Cotton Row Run has taken place every year for the past 30 years and has had the same route for I don’t know how long; so, drivers, if you live on the route and need to get out on the morning of the run – how about planning accordingly? And HPD, why do you feel the need to let these idiots drive down the road when there is a foot race taking place? One person almost ran over my toes – it wasn’t pleasant. One person even turned in the same direction as the runners after he was directed to go the other way by HPD. I’m not even kidding. I guess that person wanted to see how many runners he could take down. It was bizarre. I personally think that HPD should have made people wait or take a different route rather than allow them to drive alongside the race route while people were on the street. OK, thanks, I feel better now.

After we watched the runners come up Mountain Wood, we headed down the mountain on Randolph Street and saw some of the same folks head towards downtown. Then it was time to go home and nap. Here are the results in case you want to look up some Parkers or other people you may know.

I also mowed the lawn and did some grilling before watching game two of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Why is it that in every year of my life the Flyers stink it up in the Stanley Cup Finals? I wasn’t even alive the last time they won the cup, you’d think they could win it just once.

So, that was my Memorial Day weekend. I hope yours was just as adventurous as mine!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Dan Lawrence came in 75th. That is so amazing. We were going to do the kid's Fun Run, but I goofed up on the entry date. It's just as well since Nina has the flu. Next, year, maybe. ;)

Melissa said...

I read your blog regularly - it is always entertaining :) How about a visit and a comment over on my blog :)
www.myadamsfamily.com/blog

Candy said...

I'm still here and reading :)