Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday Movie Review MacGruber and Prince of Persia


As mentioned in an earlier post, Tony and I saw two movies on Saturday afternoon/evening. The first of the double-header was MacGruber, based on the Saturday Night Live skit of the same name. MacGruber is a spoof of MacGyver, a television series from the late 1980s – early 1990s.

For whatever reason, Tony and I think the MacGruber skits on SNL are hilarious; and it is not uncommon to occasionally hear us singing the theme song. I had seen where this film was dubbed the best SNL movie since Wayne’s World, and since Jackie and I loved Wayne’s World as kids, I figured MacGruber had to be funny. WRONG! This was one of the worst movies I have seen in I don’t know how long. The plot was dull, there was lots of bad language and strange sex scenes and the crude humor was not funny at all. I thought the funniest part of the movie was when MacGruber said to his friend, “I’m going loco man,” and the translation came on the screen, “I’m going crazy man.”

If you were thinking about seeing this movie, but haven’t yet made the plunge, take it from me, save your money. It was awful! 

Tony's take: awful.



The second movie we saw was Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time starring Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan. This movie, oddly enough, is based on a video game. When I saw the previews for this movie, I was intrigued and wasn’t sure if it would be that good. Tony thought the same and after I told him I thought I would go see it by myself, he decided he too wanted to see this one. So, off we went.

I thought the plot of this movie, although fantastical, was very interesting and the movie kept me intrigued throughout. All the characters were interesting and there were many times when I couldn’t decide who was trustworthy and who was not. The true villain of the film may come as a surprise to you, it did to me.

Produced by Disney, this movie had more of a grown-up or young adult feel to it, similar toThe Pirates of the Caribbean movies; so, you may not want to take the youngest of children. The best I can remember, there was no foul language, making this a very family friendly movie.

I enjoyed this movie immensely and would recommend it for anyone looking for a good date movie or a family movie night. Two thumbs up from me.

Tony's take: pretty good

No comments: