Tuesday, June 29, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

I wanted to share of couple of things with you that I really love right now. Of course, my love affair with these things could wane at any time, but for now I really like them and want you to like them too.

Gigi’s cupcakes are really yummy. When Gigi’s first opened in the fall, I admit, I wasn’t thrilled about the cupcakes. Being a baker myself, I thought the cupcakes weren’t that great. The first time Tony and I had a cupcake from there was right before they were closing on a Tuesday night and I had a chocolate and he had the Boston Crème. I really didn’t want chocolate, but since it was closing time and that’s all they had to chose from, that’s what I was stuck with and I didn’t like it all that well.

I decided to give them another try and liked it so much better the second time around and I have been back many more times. The cupcakes are a little expensive at $3.00 each, but when I want a treat and don’t want to bake a whole pan of something, I will stop by there and get a cupcake… or two.

This past Saturday, after doing the grocery shopping and saving more money than I anticipated, I decided to stop in to Gigi’s to see what they had to offer. The menu changes every day and they also have flavors of the day which are not on the daily menu. Well, to my surprise they had a lot of my favorites and Tony’s favorite too (Boston Crème). So, I bought four. By the time I took the photos below, I had already eaten one of the cupcakes. The icing is a bit much and I usually don’t even eat half of it. Gigi’s is located on Whitesburg Drive in Huntsville and they have other locations in other cities as well. The next time you’re looking to treat yourself stop in and pick up a cupcake – you will be pleasantly surprised.





Boston Creme (bottom left)
Red Velvet (top right)
Tiramisu (bottom right)

The other favorite thing I wanted to tell you about are these new candies from Wonka, well, actually Nestle, since Nestle makes Wonka candies. They are called Wonka Exceptionals Fruit Marvels and they are delightful! I saw these when I was checking out at Wal-Mart last week and I decided to grab a tin to try. I don’t know what it is about the candies at the check out but if there is a new gum or candy that catches my eye, I will always get it. So, I picked these up and had forgotten about them until Sunday morning when I was sitting in church. I opened them up and the first surprise was how large they were. I thought they were going to be much smaller than they actually were. The second surprise was when I put them in my mouth and realized I had discovered a wonderful treat and my new favorite non-chocolate candy.

The outer shell is a hard candy with a sugar dusting and inside is a chewy morsel. Seriously, I didn’t think I would be able to stop eating these they were that good. I picked up the pomegranate flavor, but they also come in tangerine. I haven’t seen these at other stores yet so look for them at Wal-Mart and try not to eat the whole tin in one setting. I dare ya!




3 comments:

Melissa said...

Now I'm having a sweet craving :) Megan calls cupcakes 'pupcakes' :) It cracks me up so much that I never even correct her....cheap entertainment for a mom.

Candy said...

It's the little things that make you happy! I am in love with GiGi's too! I want to try their Strawberry Shortcake but everytime I go in they are sold out. Darn. I've tried their Texas Chocolate and it was very good. I'm a chocoholic!

Unknown said...

I love GiGi's one or I think maybe three of my students told me about the place and of course now Troy and Ashlyn want to go. I like different kinds. All chocolate isn't my favorite but they are good. The Southern Pecan pie one is great plus-ok you get the picture. Thanks for keeping up with Brooke-I know it thrills her that you are reading her blog too. I love your garden so when do we get some tomatoes.Lol. You and Tony should have come to our Marriage Matters seminar it has been great. It really addresses more than marriage communication of all relationships.
Love you,