Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thursday Movie Review - Sex and The City 2



This past Friday, I hit the theater to see Sex and The City 2 with my friend Brenda. Brenda and I work together and she accompanied me when I saw the first Sex and The City movie a couple of years ago. So, we decided we would go see this one together too.

I had read a lot of the critics’ reviews before seeing the film and I think I went in expecting to be disappointed; but, I wasn’t because nothing beats Carrie and the girls getting together for a cocktail and to catch up. After all, after being absent from the scene for two years, who isn’t ready for a dose of Carrie and company?

I started watching Sex and The City when I lived in New York and immediately fell in love with the show. I have all the seasons on DVD and while not an uber-fan like some crazy people out there, I do love it. When I lived in North Carolina, I watched all the seasons with my friend Jessica (hey Jess!) and we had a grand time laughing and talking about the show.

This second movie was on par with the first in my opinion. The plot wasn’t over the top or extra ordinary; it was just okay. It’s a bit difficult to tell a story about established characters when you’ve only got two hours and the characters have been MIA for two years, which is why the show was so much better than the movies have been.

The fashion was absolutely amazing, as expected. I read somewhere that the budget for clothes was in the millions and I believe it. In the movie the girls take a trip to Abu Dhabi and the scenery is absolutely amazing and so extravagant and beautiful – it almost made me want to plan a trip to the UAE – almost.

A lot of the critics’ reviews I read complained that the girls had fallen into a more societal role of wife and mother rather than being the trend setting fly by your pants type of women they were in the television series. I personally didn’t find this offensive in the least. I think it’s more appropriate that these characters have become wives and mothers rather than the bed hopping singletons they were previously. It shows that they are much more mature than they once were and after all, that’s what life is all about – growing up and casting away the crazy lives we had in our 20s. I know I’m quite happy I’ve moved on from that time in my life. The only character that remains the same is Samantha. She's up to her same crazy antics and quite frankly, I think it's time she grew up as well.

In short, if you are a fan of the Sex and The City franchise, then I think you will enjoy this movie as well; because it’s always good to catch up with old friends, wouldn’t you agree?

2 comments:

Alison said...

How old is Samantha supposed to be in the series? She's 53 in real life. If I did my math right. Which I probably didn't. ;)

Mary McLaughlin said...

I went this weekend. And I agree with your review!